Alpha Epsilon Phi Apparel
Alpha Epsilon Phi Long Sleeves
Alpha Epsilon Phi Accessories
In 1889, Barnard College was founded as a women's college connected to Columbia University, which did not admit women at the time. A decade later, the campus had student organizations such as social sororities; however, not all sororities allowed Jewish women or other minorities to join at this time. The discrimination frustrated one student, Helen Phillips, who then fostered the idea for forming an organization for Jewish women to promise the same friendship and sisterhood as other sororities. Phillips suggested to some other women that they meet in her room and discuss the possibilities of such a club.
Alpha Epsilon Phi was formally chartered in 1909 at Barnard College. The founders were not chosen because of any special scholastic prominence, financial circumstances or other arbitrary standards, but because they had a common heritage, shared common interests and were imbued with the ideals of true friendship. The sorority encouraged community service, academic presence on campuses, an increased and positive social presence and reputation, and providing a "college home and family" for each of its sisters. This idea was the basis upon which Alpha Epsilon Phi was founded.
In 1951, the sorority joined the National Panhellenic Conference.